Friday, November 04, 2011

"I'm here to testify......

 Sens. McCain and Lieberman
Photo credit: Courtesy of NCU

"I'm here to testify under oath that.......oh, sorry.........wrong event!" quipped General Odierno.

Senators Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) received the 2011 American Patriot Award presented by the National Defense University Foundation (NDUF) for their patriotic leadership and their outstanding record of contributions to America’s national security, armed forces and veterans throughout their careers in government. 

“As true patriots, both Senators Lieberman and McCain are most deserving of the National Defense University Foundation’s American Patriot Award because of their inspirational leadership and selfless dedication in serving our nation’s ideals, values and democratic principles,” said Albert C. Zimmerman, Chairman of the Board of Directors, National Defense University Foundation.  

Adm. Rondeau Director Petraeus Sen.Lieberman Albert Zimmerman  Sen. McCain Gen Odierno Gen. Dempsey

The best lines of the night came from the honorees though, the dueling Senators:

"Let me also say a word about my fellow honoree Senator Joe Lieberman.  I have had the pleasure of traveling the world with Joe for the past decade or more.  We have visited all the vacation spots, including Iraq and Afghanistan more times than I recall.  And no matter where we go, I can always count on Joe to ensure that we observe Shabbat, the Jewish day of rest, and then enjoy a nice kosher meal that evening.  It has come to a point now where I am thinking about converting, because as long as I am paying the costs of membership, I might as well enjoy the benefits." said McCain.  

"John and I traveled different paths to the United States Senate," said Lieberman.  In many respect, we are very different people - in our backgrounds, our upbringing, in the experiences that shaped our lives.  

But, we have grown from sharing these experiences.  I tell John stories about the things I did
growing up as an Orthodox Jew and observing the Sabbath on Saturdays.......and John tells me stories about the things he did on shore leave in Rio De Janeiro in the 1960's.  Generally speaking, I admit.   John's stories are a lot more fun than mine."

Hadassah and Joe Lieberman

The Gala showcased and benefited the National Defense University (NDU).