Friday, March 09, 2012

In Wonderland with Ali


Ali Wentworth  Pamela Sorensen  Jason Kampf at

by contributor Courtney Cohen
Photo credit: Neshan H. Naltchayan

So, here’s a disclaimer: I worked for Ali Wentworth’s husband George Stephanopoulos for three years from 2007 to 2010. As a political junkie since childhood, moving to Washington to work for him at ABC News was literally a dream come true.  

But then I met his amazing wife Ali Wentworth and I knew immediately I had a new role model. Besides being a great actress and comedienne, Ali is the best mother to her and George’s two girls (when I asked Ali how her oldest was liking kindergarten back in Fall ’07 she said something like, “she likes it, she’s smoking cigarettes behind the bleachers”).

Courtney and Ali

She has an incredible sense of style, not just for gorgeous clothes but her home in Georgetown was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen (check out March’s Architectural Digest to see shots of George and Ali’s New York digs). 

When George, Ali, their girls and the dogs moved to New York I was sad to not work for George any longer, but I was devastated that Ali was going too!

Five years after I first met her while she was redecorating George’s office at ABC as a surprise for him, Ali has written one of the funniest memoirs I’ve ever read, Ali in Wonderland

She describes the book as a love letter to her mother Muffie Cabot and fills the book with wonderful tales of growing up in Washington, D.C., summer internships in London, struggling as an actress in Los Angeles and then finding love and forming a family of her own with George. 

Sister Sissy with Ali
 
I was thrilled to see Ali at her DC book signing at the fabulously chic boutique Upstairs on 7th. Since I truly am the world’s biggest Ali Wentworth fan (sorry George!) I brought a stack of books for Ali to sign and a flip cam to ask her some questions.

So, here she is, my idol Ali Wentworth talking about passing the comedy gene on to those little Stephanopoulos princesses (or as I called them during my tenure with George, “the Princessopouli”) and about how her girls will never, ever go to boarding school! 

And one more thing: if you’re like me and need your daily Ali fix, don’t miss her on the “Daily Shot with Ali Wentworth”!

The interview: