Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers







2012 is the Year of the Dragon on the lunar calendar celebrated by many Asian nations. In Chinese astrology, the Year of the Dragon arrived on Monday, January 23 and brings with it optimism and hope for better times ahead. Thus, we leave 2011, the Year of the Rabbit, full of cheers and changes for many, and losses and hardships for others. Wherever your paths took you in 2011, I wish you and yours a wonderful New Year and the best for 2012.

Peace to you all,





LOUNG UNG

"For me, I left 2011 with gratitude for the opportunities to work on new projects that rewarded my desire to affect change in our world and to write the stories that most touched my heart. My year began with a journey to Cambodia where I was thrilled to join forces with The Documentary Group in 2011 as a writer on for the 10X10: Educate Girls, Change the World.

…"10×10 is a feature film that tells the stories of 10 extraordinary girls, from 10 developing countries around the world." These stories, written by an acclaimed female writer from the girl’s country and narrated by a celebrated actress, describe a unique personal journey of triumph and achievement against incredible odds...”

 




Years ago I was Loung's publicist on her first book First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers which went on to make the best seller listWe have stayed in touch on and off over the years, so was delighted to receive an update on her activities which included a notation on FB and Twitter: 
  
"In minneapolis airport . Missed flight by 1 minute! (11:15 flight to Boise, Idaho.. Arrived at gate at 11:11, door closed at 11:10--and no amount of pleading or sad faces would get gate agent to open door!) :( next flight @ 4:30! "

It brought back memories of when I sent Loung off on a book tour how struck she was by the fact that I called to see if she caught her flight and called her when she landed.  She seemed quite taken by what I would consider to be a simple gesture.  As a refugee without parents you forget how important this can be to someone that is not used to it. 


To learn more about 10x10: visit LoungUng.com, and learn 10x10’s Book Club featuring Loung’s book, First They Killed My Father."